Monday, August 10, 2015

Lucy at one year...wait...what??

Twelve Month Stats:
Length: 30.3 inches
Weight: 20 lbs. 10 oz
Likes: Standing, walking with help, other people's food, reading and books, animals, baby friends, park time, the beach.
Dislikes: Being left alone. She loves spending time with anyone and could care less if it's mom or dad, but she hates being alone in a room for even a second and will completely melt down. 
Nicknames: Lulu, Squishy.
Teeth: Three top, three bottom (which looks completely lopsided)

Guys, we have a one-year-old. Lucy is still not walking, but I truly feel that is a personal preference rather than any physical issue. Little gal knows that the longer she strikes against walking, the longer she gets to be carried everywhere. She's a smart cookie if you ask me.

Lucy's last month of her first year was fairly calm as far as life goes, but developmentally she is just a totally different kid than she was even two months ago, not to mention what a difference a year makes!



Lucy has begun playing "jokes" on us, which consist of things like hiding behind the couch and jumping up to yell BOO! She will do this for about 46 minutes straight if you continue to act surprised. She also is into everything. Everything. She is particularly attached to the pantry where all of the FUN (heavy) cans of chili, beans, etc. are kept and makes sure to stack them all over the kitchen floor. 

This gal is as fun-loving and smiley as it comes. As when she was a newborn, she truly only gets upset when she is A) tired or 2) hungry. She sleeps like a champ - got that from her daddy - and will do about 3 hours of naps during the day and around 11-12 hours straight at night. This is not a humblebrag, I never sleep, so I actually find this to be sort of an issue for the time that we could be out doing things!

Our sweet friend Ashley took Lucy's first birthday pictures and can I just say she is AMAZING! She and Lucy are pretty great buddies, but the work that she does with kids is magical. She is having a baby girl of her own in a few short weeks, but if you are in the North County San Diego area and may want amazing pictures soon, run over to her site and message her!





{All photos via Ashley Hardy Photography}
Lucy has also started making friends. She is sort of a bully which I know is true because there is no other kid in her friend group that is the bully, so it must be her. She loves playing with every toy that some other kid has. The minute that she has that toy, she typically tosses it aside and goes to find another poor little baby soul to steal things from. Klepto bully. The good news is that she has befriended many chill babes. She is curating her friend group to meet her bullying needs. On an upside, she is a fantastic sharer. If I ask her to give someone something, she is all over it. She basically just craves the interaction and is a super social gal. 

A couple funny stories from this past month:

Lucy has been going to the gym daycare with me 3-4 times a week for the past few months. She is completely in love with it. She knows when we pull into the parking lot and claps her hands while straining against her car seat to get out. This month she really started showing a preference toward the gym daycare leaders. She gets in there and just flips out with excitement when her favorite gal is working, and on other days she sees the worker and is always willing to go with them (because, TOYS! KIDS! SOCIAL HOUR!!) but it's more of a begrudging, "okay, I guess I can allow you to carry me across the counter and put me down for playtime."

Lucy is obsessed with a stuffed spider monkey that she got from the Safari Park (see the last photo above). She definitely prefers monkeys to any other stuffed toys, and even understands and says "monkey". Well, after a week or so of her loving the crap out of that monkey, it was time for a good wash. I took Monkey, threw him in the hamper and didn't get him to the washer for about a week. When I pulled him out to hang dry, I hung him from a door up high, hoping she wouldn't see him for an hour or so. Welp, little gal accidentally came across him hanging from the door and flipped her crap. She stood at the door point to and reprimanding Monkey how the last week had gone, how much she missed him, and that he better never leave her again she was so worried...or at least I can imagine that is what she was saying. It was very stern and increased in volume for about five full minutes. I was hiding out and laughing in the other room, but when I finally came over she just completely melted down in tears. It was as though I was trying to separate her from her entire family, if she cared as much about us as she does about Monkey. I didn't have the heart to keep her from her beloved! I pulled that soaking wet toy down and she immediately snuggled him against her face, patting his head and rocking him. I died with the cuteness. I also cannot figure out where she gets the face snuggle/head pat since we never do that her or each other. Hilarious!

We just love this smart, carefree, bright, happy, inquisitive lady and truly can't wait for all that her life has in store.

No comments: