We’ve been getting this question a lot lately: “Have you
picked a name yet for the baby?”
The answer is yes.
As a matter of fact, we had the name picked nearly 8 years
ago when we first got married and talked about the idea of kids and what we
would name them. We immediately agreed on a girl’s name and have kept it secret
not knowing if we would ever be able to use it. Well, in less than two months
we will get to use it.
Once it was confirmed our bundle of joy would be female (and
I relegated the matching “Little Woody” Father and Son t-shirts, hats, and
other awesome apparel I had made to the attic) we again agreed on the same name
we had chosen so long ago. Even stranger, it was confirmed that this was the name when not one, not two, but three separate people in our families
had premonitions and suggested the name to us as their favorite.
Cute story,
right? So what does this have to do with Scarlett Johansson?
Well, we have been nervous sharing the name of our baby girl
because people react in funny ways when you talk about naming a child.
Reactions range from disgust or disbelief, or even more often are met with a name
suggestion that is equally unbelievable to us. After all, this is our child not
an obscure location or noun. Essentially we just decided to dodge the
conversation as long as possible.
For the past 8 months we were having pretty good success -
until this weekend. Saturday we decided to go on a date to see a movie, which
is something we haven’t done in months and we knew we won’t do again for…years?
The first preview that pulled up was some ridiculous alien action movie
starring Kelly’s absolute least favorite actress in all of history, the mildly talented
Scarlett Johansson. At the end of said preview in big bold letters - and with the
signature echo that only a movie preview voice can make - rang out our sweet baby’s
name:
LUCY
Bursting into laughter is my common response to such things, and that was the tactic I took.
Kelly was walking the fine line between anger and full on rage. Why couldn't the
movie plot be better? Or the starring actress be someone less polarizing like Anne
Hathaway or Amy Adams? Nope. Scarlett Johansson will be LUCY (coming in August
to a theater near you). Also debuting in
August will be our little girl. We will affectionately call her ScarJo… I mean
Lucy.
2 comments:
I love Lucy and her name! I remember Kelly telling me YEARS ago that she loved that name. I am sloop glad that you get to use it!!!
No worries - the movie will quickly be forgotten. We had Lily's name picked out about that long before she was born too! I don't think it would even matter much if you named your child after someone you didn't like - once she is born you will only have affection for her and her name :)
Post a Comment