Wednesday, May 14, 2014

28 Weeks and things to remember (a baby post)

It's a baby post. 
Easter Sunday - 26 weeks
I think when everything else is exactly the same, we start focusing more on growing this child. She has quickly become the center of our lives - and I just always promised myself I would not be that person. That we would not be those people. Turns out, no matter how much of an individual I purport to be, the minute another living thing began depending solely on me (I mean literally - like she is eating my nutrients and stealing my iron) I turned into a raving baby-growing lunatic.

A quick list of things I want us to remember about the past 28 weeks (please feel free to skip over readers):
1. I first felt you kick me (flutter me?) at 20 weeks, which is late. I am prompt, and you are late, baby. Pick it up.

2. Ever since that first flutter, you are non-stop. A few instances:
  • For the past three weeks, every time there is music on you actually dance. Non-stop, rolling over, kick-line Rockette style dance. 
  • This also happens whenever your dad talks to you. Yes, he talks to you. As I said, we have turned into lunatics. You must be used to my nonstop chatter, but you really like listening to your pop.
  • Yesterday I was at the pool in my barely-fitting swimsuit, and my friend Jessica saw you kicking. She is the first one that has noticed, and we definitely thought it was weird.
3. We have been trying to paint your nursery for about two months now. First, we didn't want to move everything in until we figured it all out. Then we realized that we will never again have "it" all figured out and moved everything to the middle of the room. Then I bought lilac paint instead of grey, like we had agreed on. Now we have 85 days until you get here and you will be lucky to have a nursery that isn't patchy lilac-grey paint swatches. I bet you won't care anyway.

4. So far we think you like rap music best. The kind that is censored of course. We don't need you learning those words while you are still forming lungs ever. Either way, you are a big fan of Jay Z. Maybe your tastes will refine when you arrive and see all of the musical options out here. (Matt's note* like Swedish techno)

5. Your Aunt Angela threw you a baby shower last weekend. You are one spoiled kiddo! Try not to get used to that lifestyle. You now have a lot of tutus to wear, and I bet you will love that. If you don't, at least I know that I will! Your Great-Grandma Laura, Great-Grandma Sherman, Grandma Cindy, and Grandma Joyce were at your shower along with Aunt Theresa, and soooo many cousins! You have lots of cousins - 13 so far. We really missed having your Grandma Kitty there. And your Aunts Meggo, Alicia, Laurin, Laura...here is the only picture I have of you at the shower, but I think you're pretty cute:

6. So far, you don't have food preferences. Um, actually maybe sugar? I eat a good bit of sugar now, or at least more than ever before. I ate a ton of cottage cheese, yogurt, and bran cereal for the first 6 months. The only thing that really bothers me (you?) is the smell of rice cooking. Too bad your dad loves to cook rice. I wonder if that will be an aversion that sticks? 

7. I am starting to cry a lot. If you knew me before you, you would know that I am not a crier. On Mother's Day I cried four times at church. Actually I cried five times that day, because we read the book Corduroy to you, and I used to read that with my mom and dad and I forgot that it is kinda sad before it gets happy. Remember, your parents are lunatics. (Matt's note* Lunatic. Singular.)

I am so terrible at keeping up with things but had it in me to purge today - I just don't want to forget that these things are happening.

Today marks the second day of my third trimester, so I guess this baby girl is coming whether we are ready or not! Let me give you a hint: we are not ready.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Its amazing that you are writing this all down. Babies really do change everything, even us! You are doing great and will do great once she is here. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I will need your address. And I must recommend to you the worlds best baby name book ever: the baby name survey. Go buy it and prepare to laugh out loud. It tells you the impression a name gives the public. I highly recommend taking it to church and reading it with Matt during sac. mtg. Gabe and I die laughing at how spot on it is!