Thursday, May 2, 2013

(Day 2-before-31) Something I know a lot about...

::Day 2::
Educate on something you know a lot about

(Opening Scene) Matt and I reclining at opposite ends of our beat-up slouchy couch.
Matt: "Guess what?"
Me: "What?"
Matt: "JEOPARDY is on!"
Me: "YESSSSSS!! Let's DO THIS!!"
Matt (preparing to nail every question): "What is..."
Kelly (interrupting): "The epithelial membrane!?!"
Repeat. Repeat. Ad nausea.
(Close Scene)

I am that trivia person. Can't stop!
Yet, I was not merely born with the gift of random trivia. No! This is many, many years of daily, nay hourly, training.  I have so many random tidbits of information crammed into this skull it makes it hard to focus on one thing much of the time.

Matt often says that I tricked him into thinking I was someone that I am not before we got married. A bait-and-switch if you will. No, I am not some crazy con artist - but I did make him think I am a "game" person.

Make no mistake that I am not. Hand me a deck of cards and you have successfully captured my attention for the next 3.5 minutes (if you are lucky).

Bust out the Trivial Pursuit (any edition) and we will now battle to the death for the remainder of the night week time it takes for me to slaughter you with my random trivia knowledge.

Well today is your lucky day - for today I will sequentially teach you the ins and outs of something I am practically professional at:

The Art of Loving and Retaining Random Trivia
Step 1: Grow up the child of an elementary school teacher and an engineer. Always ask, "Why?"
Step 2: Have as many jobs as you can possibly fit into your teen and college years in the most dichotomous vocations. Stay at each job for a 12 month maximum.
Step 3: End up in a career where your co-workers will slam you if you haven't read/referred to at least three separate news and/or peer reviewed information sources by 8:00am.
Step 4: Read the front page of each of the following websites on rotating intervals throughout each day.
Dig deeper as desired or necessary:
SLATE
BBC-Homepage
Huffington Post
Grantland
IMDB
BuzzFeed (I know, I know...this is the equivalent of becoming immune to torture for a true trivia master)
Step 5: Simultaneously stream NPR (depending on what you are reading, Grantland podcasts may be supplemented for a well-rounded information experience)
Step 6: Discuss all of the featured articles with all the people and add in a nightly viewing of JEOPARDY for good measure and practice.
Step 7: Repeat. Repeat. Ad nausea.

Don't worry, when you start trivia blasting your friends/family/partner/etc. you will thank me.
In advance, you are welcome.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Love your posts. Always wondered why you could not stand to finish a game of anything because you were bored. Now I understand much better.

By the way, I have never been a neo hippy. You goofball! Love you! And I find you extremely amusing!

Kirstie said...

Haha! Love it. Brad and I both do the same thing whenever we watch jeopardy but I just get excited when I get one right!