Greetings from Botswana!
It is my last day here at the beautiful Gaborone Sun, in the heart of Botswana’s Capitol City, Gaborone. I am hopping on a plane home in approximately six hours. This trip has been quite the experience and after 16 days in this gorgeous locale, I am finally ready to come home!!
A few musings to share for now (more pictures and stories will follow later, I’m sure):
The purpose of my trip was actually work-driven, but we managed to have a lot of fun too! I met up with TONS of people that we work with throughout the world who I have had the opportunity to talk with via email, but have never had the pleasure of making acquaintances. My company, DHAPP, has phenomenal, capable, wonderful people working for them.
The “2009 Military HIV/AIDS Prevention Conference” which has been my LIFE for the past four months, is now over and done...and it was a huge success!! Each of the nearly 200 participants mentioned how much they learned and how many things they were able to share between their respective countries. It sounds like a small thing, but really in the end we were able to share best practices for HIV Prevention and AIDS treatment between the various country attendees and Non-Governmental Organizations (about 40 in all!). Mark one down for the global fight against HIV/AIDS!!!
I was also able to spend lots of time with the Botswana Defense Force, the national Army here. They are such a hard-working group who is very dedicated to this cause...VERY different from a lot of the other Militaries worldwide.
I will save the “fun time” stories for a later post where I can share the pictures that accompany these activities, but I will leave you with a little taste of what's to come:
It is my last day here at the beautiful Gaborone Sun, in the heart of Botswana’s Capitol City, Gaborone. I am hopping on a plane home in approximately six hours. This trip has been quite the experience and after 16 days in this gorgeous locale, I am finally ready to come home!!
A few musings to share for now (more pictures and stories will follow later, I’m sure):
The purpose of my trip was actually work-driven, but we managed to have a lot of fun too! I met up with TONS of people that we work with throughout the world who I have had the opportunity to talk with via email, but have never had the pleasure of making acquaintances. My company, DHAPP, has phenomenal, capable, wonderful people working for them.
The “2009 Military HIV/AIDS Prevention Conference” which has been my LIFE for the past four months, is now over and done...and it was a huge success!! Each of the nearly 200 participants mentioned how much they learned and how many things they were able to share between their respective countries. It sounds like a small thing, but really in the end we were able to share best practices for HIV Prevention and AIDS treatment between the various country attendees and Non-Governmental Organizations (about 40 in all!). Mark one down for the global fight against HIV/AIDS!!!
I was also able to spend lots of time with the Botswana Defense Force, the national Army here. They are such a hard-working group who is very dedicated to this cause...VERY different from a lot of the other Militaries worldwide.
I will save the “fun time” stories for a later post where I can share the pictures that accompany these activities, but I will leave you with a little taste of what's to come:
· Various ridiculous expat excursions with the DHAPP Staff
· SAFARI Pictures!!!
· Pictures from “the road” (aka 26-hour plane, train, and automobile rides to arrive here!)
Meanwhile, you can read all about what my Better Half was up to in the following post...I wonder if he even needs me anymore?!?
3 comments:
so awesome! want to see pictures and hear detailed stories.
Thanks for your comments! We're very excited :) I look forward to hearing about your Africa trip!
You are seriously my hero Kelly...I am so glad you had such a great experience in Botswana!
Post a Comment