Friday, March 13, 2009

Lucky Day

On this day 11years ago, my mom picked me up in the senior parking lot of El Camino High School after 5th period to take me to work at Del Paso Country Club. It was Friday the 13th of March 1998, and wouldn’t you know it, it was my lucky day...


You see, my mom was eager for me to open the letter that had arrived in the mail from BYU. It was the ever feared acceptance/rejection letter. Considering the size of the envelope, I was fairly sure the results were not going to be in my favor. Before we were out of the parking lot however, I read the words, “We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted…” I noticed the tears well up in my mom’s eyes. I was pretty shocked more than anything, but happy to be into the only school I applied to.

After a few hours at the golf course I was off to one of my final varsity basketball games as a senior. Not that it mattered. I never played. I never scored; at least I never needed to wash my uniform. (Such a hassle.) But with the stars aligned, I was the first man off the bench. Within seconds I had scored a put back on lay-up and the next time down the court (almost identical to the time before) I followed a missed shot with another lay-in. The following possession I was fouled and was sent to the line to shoot free throws (a skill I excelled at in practice, but with my legs shaking, I missed one of the two). When I came out of the game the coach asked one of the most insulting questions I’ve ever heard. "Where have you been all season?" I responded by mentally giving him the finger.


(You're #1 coach!)

I was put back in the second half when our team started to struggle. In one series, I came away with a coast-to-coast lay-up, a steal and an assist. We won the game and I celebrated by hanging out with the cute girl that eyed me in the crowd (a la "Slash").

Today has been much less exciting (sitting in a cubicle writing database code). I don’t even think we’re getting a penumbral lunar eclipse today, but at least Friday the 13th doesn’t have to be unlucky.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

You forgot to mention the two most significant Friday the 13th. The one 33 years ago that set the course for you to be at the second one two and a half years ago. I agree its a good day!

Tiffany said...

I have to agree as well. My birthday actually falls on the 13th of April and even when it is a Friday, I love it.

Malerie said...

Haha, loved your post. :)

B-Rad said...

Have you visited the blog "Club Trillion?" It was promoted on Bill Simmon's B.S. Report podcast and I checked it out a few days ago. Your description of your high school playing days remind me of the blog.