Friday, April 10, 2015

Lucy (and life) Update: In the eighth month.

Eight Month Stats
Length: 27 1/2"
Weight: 17lbs, 7oz.
Likes: Army crawling, real-crawling (!!), baby friends, park time.
Dislikes: Sharing. This month was the first time that I noticed Lucy not allowing other kids, or mom, to take things away from her. She was holding a plastic cup at church last week and another little buddy tried to take it. She was not pleased.
Nicknames: Gooser, Goose, Squishy (only occasionally)

This month we finished up working! So crazy that our bi-weekly drives down to Point Loma have ceased (for awhile? Forever?). I am not going to lie, I will secretly miss it a lot. It's like a whole facet of my (and Lucy's) life has just gone missing! Everyone asks me what it feels like, "not to work anymore?" Oh man, can I tell you that staying home with this kid is no joke! I must admit that prior to having a child I always thought, "hmmm...must be kinda nice to be home with kids and not have to feel the stress of "real work"'. Well, I have a few more things to say on that subject now. Since Lucy's birth I have been a "real worker", a part-time "real worker"/mom, and now a full time mom. This full time mom stuff is the hardest work I have ever done. Here's just a few tangible reasons why:

1. I stress ALL.THE.TIME. I used to wake up worrying about work things at two in the morning, but now I wake up worrying that my tiny human is lonely, or that I didn't feed her enough, or that she might be a tiny bit hot/cold, or that she has stopped breathing. But unlike "real work" when it was morning and I could actually leave my house and head to the office to accomplish a few things to stymie the stress, as a mom morning comes and I am already in my office and I can't fix anything because I still don't know the right answers. Turns out I have no clue what I am doing and I ask myself daily why didn't someone write a very concise and complete book about these things!?! By things, I obviously mean children...

2. I never stop moving. I have been conditioned over eight years to sit at a desk for nine hours a day at "real work". Don't get me wrong, sometimes at the office I would stand or even walk to the drinking fountain. Alternately, the amount of physicality involved in being a full time mom is ridiculous. How did I train for this, you ask? Well, we women gain between 25-70 pounds over 10 months and discontinue most physical exercise. Good training plan, nature. Needless to say, I am physically exhausted at the end of each day (did I mention the 18 pound tiny human I continue to carry around on my person?) but then I can't sleep to re-energize (see item #1).

3. I recognize and understand that I have been given the task to not only keep this tiny human alive, but also to impress some amount of important information into her little mind as well. Instill great values and provide education and all that...but I am not convinced I have any information to impart on either of those counts. So, it may be that I am just sending this gal into the world eating with her feet (as she does currently) and never closing the front door behind her as though she were raised in a barn. Only time will tell I suppose.

So that's a long diatribe about me, now on to what that Lulu is up to.

This month brought Lucy's first egg hunt the week before Easter. She had no clue what was going on but loved every single second of watching a bunch of other kids go crazy!


We left the hunt with eight eggs full of candy, and Matt and I enjoyed those on Lucy's behalf given she was still working on growing teeth. More on that later...

Easter morning, Lucy really made out with gifts from all over the land, which we consolidated into a basket. Our Easter bunny went to Salt Lake City, since we were supposed to have been there for Easter but we had to reschedule last minute. Thank goodness for Grandmas! Grandmas collectively save holidays.

We also had a little visit from my friend Erika and her sweet boy. They only came through town for a few hours and she is so nice that she didn't even hesitate to detour to our house for a few minutes so that our kiddos could play!
It is so cool to see my friends' families growing alongside ours! Love all of these kiddos that are joining our lives.

A few other developmentally noteworthy things happened this month. Lucy had refused to sit on her own until about halfway through this month. She started scooting/Army crawling at seven months, but had no interest in sitting on her own. This month she started sitting unassisted like a champ! We took her out to dinner to celebrate (at least that's what we told her) and she practiced sitting in her first restaurant high chair! 

Once she had mastered the sitting thing, Lulu spent no time at all getting down to a real crawl. She has what my sister calls her "telescope leg" which is the leg she sorta drags behind her when she Army crawls in a manner not unlike an injured WWII soldier. Telescope leg no longer! We now have a full-on crawler:
So, things are about to get real around here. I have no clue how to parent a moving object. Let's all just hope neither one of us loses it.

The day after the crawling began, I went to go put Lucy's bottle in the sink and came back to her just standing on the edge of the couch smiling her face off. I had no clue she could/would pull-up, but I guess when it rains, it pours. Lucy has figured out some body mechanics and the world will never be the same.

Finally, on April 10th, the moment she turned eight months old, Lucy bit me on the finger...with her tooth. You know, the one we had no clue she had sprouted somewhere along the way. I had imagined that teething would shatter her otherwise sunny personality.
This what a teething Lucy looks like. Man, I wish I had this attitude in trying times. Maybe she is teaching us that a positive outlook begets an easier life? The Tao of Lucy!

That's a wrap on this month, on to our next adventure!

1 comment:

Cindy Mik said...

OH MY GOSH, your blog is so cute. AND I just want to say I am glad Lucy has many GParents because our lameness decided since you were going to be in Utah, we would delay any goodies until our May visit.. I'm sure at 8 months that may fly, but now that she can stand on her own, I'd better not be so logical about things anymore!