After that frigid week in San Antonio, hiking uphill both ways to my meetings each day, I was not feeling the greatest when I caught my flight(s) home. After a few delays, stop-overs in LA and Vegas, and an 8-seated puddle jumper into Carlsbad Airport, I was a lovely shade of green. I hopped in the car and immediately told Matt I thought I had gotten the flu. Gross.
The next morning I headed to the office, not feeling 100% but feeling much better after a night of sleep. Until around 11:00am when I started throwing up. Gross.
I left work, headed to my doctor's office and was told, "Yep, the flu...sorry. Sleep, hydrate, and feel better by Monday!" Well, I had no time to get better. I was hosting a Christmas party at our house that night. We had our church party the next day, and I was in charge of stocking the hot cocoa bar - the people need hot cocoa! Plus, I wasn't running a fever, coughing, stuffy, or even throwing up...much. Must be food poisoning.
Sunday was spent in a haze on the couch, by Monday I was fairly confident I was going to die. Buuuuut, I had to go to work. Plus, still never a fever, cough, nothing. I was obviously fine. That is, until around 11:00am when I was back to throwing up. Gross.
This time, my doctor's office said, "Hmmm...weird flu. Go to Urgent Care. We don't know what this thing that you have is."
![]() |
| Urgent care gives out beautiful bracelets |
During the three-hour Urgent Care excursion, I just kept texting Matt things like, "Third blood test down, but why won't they just give me some stupid antibiotics!" and "They keep asking me if I'm pregnant!! Riiiight!!! LOL!"
If you've known us or read this blog for any amount of time, then you know this has been the past 6 years of our lives. So, obviously these medical doctor-y folks were idiots.
Around 3:00pm, the nurse called me back and the doctor rushed in saying, "Welp, great news!" and I responded, "Can I have the drugs and go home now?"
Which is when he pulled out my multiple lab tests and said, "Merry Christmas - you're pregnant!" To which I responded by bursting into tears and telling him that it is very mean to lie to someone with fertility issues about something so serious. I am a gem.
Instead of kicking me out of his office, the Urgent Care doctor proved it to me with an old-fashioned pee-on-a-stick pregnancy test. And it said positive. Very, very clearly. Only now do I realize that this would have saved me three hours and a lot of co-pay money had I tried that myself at home...but I digress.
Matt and I are thrilled. Our families are thrilled. Our fertility doctor was flummoxed...but this is for sure the least expensive baby we've ever conceived.
Needless to say, we are cautiously optimistic. But if all goes as planned there will be an extra Woodland living in our house come August 2014. How much should we ask for in rent?

11 comments:
Love this kel!! No one is happier for you and Matt then us!! You guys will make the best parents!! And we can't wait to love on that sweet baby!! :)
So excited for you and Matt! Congrats! Positive prayers for you and the babe!
Congrats Kelly!!!!!! :)))))) I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!! :)
Hi Kelly, my name is Meghan and I am married to Dustin Hein (that you know from high-school) Dustin was just scrolling through FB and said "Oh cool!" and then he shared your news with me! He said that you had a blog and I hope you don't mind that I looked it up. I just wanted to tell you how excited I am for you and your husband! I have so many dear friends that are having fertility issues and are waiting for this kind of news. It's stories like yours that remind me that our Heavenly Father is listening and that he is faithful.
Thanks for sharing your story. It's such an encouragement. Thrilled for you both!
The Carruths are thrilled!!! Congrats!!!
I'm so relieved it wasn't the flu! Love you:)
Love love love this so much! I cannot wait for Baby Woodland! Soo thrilled for you guys.
Wow! How amazing! So excited for your family! You are such a kind person...can't imagine a more deserving person of such wonderful news!
What a story!!! Congrats! Hope you are feeling better and that things go well. Miss you guys!
congratulations Matt and Kelly! What wonderful news. We will be praying for you and the baby!
Congratulations to you and Matt! Fabulous news.
Post a Comment