I made this really great, incredibly poor choice.
Back in early May (Okay, it was May 10th) I chose to stop working out. No running. No lifting. No yoga-ing. No nuthin'. Well, walking, actually, but only very slowly for very short distances. This was actually an incredibly good decision. You will learn how that can possibly be if you continue reading.
| Awww...look how happy I thought I was pre-run! |
However, for the sake of documentation, I will attempt to make a little pros and cons list of being exercise-less:
The Good:
1. I had so much free time! Turns out I love free time! Without trying to fit in fitness I could sleep an hour later, or get to another fun activity an hour earlier, or just read a book for an extra hour a day. Who knew of the glorious freedom of an exercise free life?!?
2. No weird wake-up-er-mah-gerd-I-need-to-stairstep!!! That's right, my name is Kelly and I am a gym rat. Hi Kelly! That is to say that I am to the point that I will automatically wake up at the booty crack of dawn just to make sure that I get my stairmaster at the gym. Or treadmill. You know, the one that has the working headphone jack and the perfect set-up for my trashy magazine. Oh, don't act like you don't choose gym equipment favorites. Wait...just me you say?
3. Cannot think of three. Hmmm...wait...nope. I got nothing.
The Not So Good:
1. I cannot sleep. Without some form of exercise I was still waking up at the booty crack of dawn looking for something to fill my normal hour of fitness. Lame.
2. I can't think straight. I have long told Matt that I neeeed a workout. He never got it. Well, at least not until now. I think I have nearly driven him crazy with my own special brand of stir-crazy. My brain literally functions at half-speed without regular physical activity. Some people lean on coffee, diet coke, or sugar. Those things either gross me out or actually make me more sluggish. So the morning run it is. Endorphins are the best wake-up I can think of!
3. The dying. Yeah, that's right. I almost died running. Well, at least I think I almost died. I mean if sucking wind and overheating and having heart palpitations aren't standing on death's door then I am not sure what is...how can I be sooooo out of shape so dang quickly? Man.
So there you have it. THE workout. Day 1 down, tomorrow is a new day, and I suppose it may include a workout. The thing that this month of no workout gave me was the freedom of knowing that I can make free time if I want/need to simply by killing the workout, and that alternately I can sleep and think more clearly if I choose the exercise. Balance my friends, that is what this garnered me.
No comments:
Post a Comment