Happy Cinco de Mayo folks!
You know what we did? Oh, I can tell you!1. Took a walk
2. Attended church
3. Grilled pollo asado!
4. Assembled tacos out of said pollo and ate them all.
5. Napped
It was the best way to celebrate
That said, we all know that we are here to document Day 5 before I turn 31.
::Day 5::
Publicly profess your love and devotion for one of your friends or family member. What makes them great? Why do you love them?
This is a prompt I have been looking forward to! I have a very specific person that I would like to introduce you to:
![]() |
| Voncile Lott Robinson |
She is a very, very classy lady who has taught me more than I could ever have known to ask for through the years.
And she didn't have to.
Mimi was not my Mimi from birth, but I feel like she has always been mine, just the same as all of her blood-relations. I am, and always have been, her people. She came to me when I was 11-years-old through my step-mom Cindy, and I think my sister Megan and I are both blessed for having her.
Mimi turns 89 years wise tomorrow, and in honor of her and because I have this chance to gush all over her, I am taking it!
Over the past 20 years, Mimi has taught me that a lady always keeps it together, even in the most adverse situations:
![]() |
| Like going fishing in heels |
![]() |
| February 8, 1947 |
![]() |
| Standing by him until the end |
After not having any other children for the next 12 years, she figured she was finished.
Well, surprise when years 13, 14, and 15 brought with them three more babies!
Mimi gave birth to her youngest daughter, my step-mom Cindy, on her very own birthday. Just as always, Mimi got to work and raised those four kids all while her husband (my Peepaw) was serving our country.
![]() |
| Cindy, Billy, Chuck, and Mary |
![]() |
| Chuck, Billy, Cindy, and Mary |
When my Dad and Cindy got married 20 years ago, Mimi came to hang out with us kids while they were on their honeymoon. Knowing that her youngest daughter had just married a particular guy who was fairly particular about the way things are kept in orderly fashion (I can tell you about his "staging area" another time), Mimi opened up the pantry cupboard on the first night in our house and immediately saw the disarray. Gasping audibly to Megan and me, Mimi said, "Your dad would be horrified for me to leave the pantry this way!" Quickly doing what she does best Mimi got to work. In the next few hours every soup can stood at attention, labels out. Cereal boxes were categorized in alphabetical order. No "old" food was left in the refrigerator. Every single solitary place in the kitchen was an organizational masterpiece. My dad has never been happier than the moment he walked back into that perfectly squared-away kitchen after a nice prolonged vacation. Best wedding gift ever.
![]() |
| "Hey Dave, I think I see something over there that needs organizing" |
![]() |
| Party Grandma! |








No comments:
Post a Comment