Saturday, May 18, 2013

(Day 18-before-31) Kickin' it old school

::Day 18::
It's fairly fitting that the story I remember in such vivid detail is also my very first memory of my whole life.  People always tell me that there is no way I can remember something from when I was a two-year-old, but I am telling you that for me this story is unforgettable!
Just two weeks after my second birthday, I found myself at Kaiser Hospital in Sacramento, CA. Within just a few hours, that little lady on the right was brought into my life...and I remember every single thing a two-year-old can about it.
I do not remember anything about the build-up to that day.  It is either the case that my parents didn't talk about me getting a baby sister at all, or I truly remember nothing in life until she was here.  Either way, the day Megan got here was a gem!
I can remember arriving at the hospital (after Megan was born) to see my mom and my baby. My mom had a water jug on the side of her bed and I remember thinking that it was so weird for her to eat in bed! That never happened at home.  My mom also had packs of gum in the top drawer of her sidetable. I found those immediately and chewed so much gum my cheeks hurt. Greatest. Day. Ever.
Well, greatest day ever until my dad took me to go, "see the baby".  He lifted me over the side of that weird window that they had that looked into the baby farm nursery.  Do they still have those windows? Weird. Anyway, dad was so excited asking me about my baby, and did I see her, and how cool it was that she was here.  But here's what it looked like to me:
all the babies!
In other words, I had no clue which baby was mine. And then I told my first lie. I remember this one vividly. My underarms were hurting where I was being lifted up to the window, and I didn't really know which baby was mine.  I said, "I see her!" but I didn't. Guys I lied in my first memory of all time - about my sister!
It's okay though, it all worked out and she lived through all of my "love" over the first few years, and even chooses to live just down the street now! Megan is one of my best friends. She has to be, she's stuck with me!  It has been so awesome to not only have her as my first memory, but to make all the other memories we have made together over the past 29-ish years with her alongside me.
To share all friends with
To hug the world with
To be ridiculous with
To celebrate all good things with
To grow our families with

1 comment:

Kitty said...

Aw! So sweet! Didn't know this. Love the pictures! If that was your first lie it was certainly understandable. Too many babies!