Thursday, January 3, 2013

Christmas and New Year 2013

I really, truly wish I were the kind of lady that took time each and every chance I got to make a note of our life-happenings. I am not. I am beginning to be okay with that.

Instead, I am the flavor of blogger that writes prolonged posts such as this one with ample pictures and only some words. None of those words contain wisdom, I promise.

Christmas 2012 was so stinking relaxing, I could hardly heft my cookie-laden body out of bed each morning to give my best renewed attempt at eating more sugar. 

For me (and for most of the Christian world it turns out) work comes to a near halt in the month of December.  In fact, I could convince myself it is still vacation right up to the specific point in early January wherein work kicks into superspeedgear and I am once again rushing around like a headless chicken coordinating a group of visiting international physicians. 
And so it goes.  Each year I get hit by a ton of proverbial New Years bricks!!
This single fact is why I am convinced that this Christmas, when Matt and I decided not to do anything at all, was the best decision made in the recent past.


I realize you all likely think that sounds horrifically horrific.

"How could they do that to their poor unassuming FAMILIES!?!"
you gasp,
"How could they be so very callous as to leave their poor families without their shining faces gracing various Mik-Woodland holiday tables??"

Now, get those feathers smoothed back down and I will tell show you how:

On Christmas Eve we unwrapped our new Christmas PJs from Santa...
he is a very jolly man who knows we love some flannel in this house!

This bottom row depicts a few of our favorite gifts.

His: a full surround sound system for his Birth-Christmas-day care of all of our parents!

Hers: the iPhone5 that every.single.picture on the blog will now be taken on!

Theirs: a book of legacy stories written, bound, and wrapped by Grandma and Grandpa Thompson (Matt's maternal grandparents) 
We spent Christmas morning reading it cover to cover!

Christmas Day ushered in the original Woodland family. 
They came into town and stayed for the rest of the year :) 
(See, not all holiday cheer was lost - When we decide to stay home people come to us!)


Our sweet little sister Laura is leaving on a Mission in Brazil in just over a month so we took the opportunity to attend the San Diego Temple as a family. It was amazing.


We also dragged the family down to Old Town San Diego to check out things there:


Our brother Darren is such a good sport - they dressed him like a member of the Battalion and he just laughed the whole time!!

We loved our time with Matt's side of the family and are always sad when the family time is over.

Finally, the holiday season rounded out with a fun evening spent ringing in the New Year with a great group of friends. Matt and I both made it to midnight for the first time in our marriage. That is reason enough to celebrate!


Happy New Year 2013 folks.  
May the New Year bring blessings and opportunities for greater fun, family, happiness, and health!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love all your pics! And YAY for the iPhone5! That will come in quite handy! I always enjoy reading what your doing... okay, and what your mind is thinking (you make me LAUGH girl!) :) Glad your holidays were good!!