Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Toyota Chronicles

It is no surprise for anyone that pays attention to current affairs that there has been some resistance to buying Toyota brand vehicles recently. My wife and I purchased one in 2008 and despite the pushback, have been Toyota advocates ever since. After today’s story, maybe you will be also…

A typical Saturday morning began with my wife heading off to volunteer at the library and me putting off the honey-do list. (This week's list consisted of finding the plastic Easter eggs that mysteriously dissappeared this Easter season, cleaning up the apple pie and vanilla ice cream I left all over the kitchen counter the night before, and changing all the light bulbs around the house that no longer worked; like those obnoxious fluorescent ones in the kitchen.)

Even with a bad back, I couldn’t get out of tasks as simple as these, and so my Saturday began. And then I heard a crash that sounded suspiciously like Optimus Prime throwing our dumpster against the concrete, amplified by 100. I figured I better get outside and investigate this situation. Here is what I found out in the parking lot outside of our door:


Some poor guy bumped the carport with a U-Haul truck (not even his U-Haul truck mind you, he was just helping out a friend) and the whole thing came tumbling down like a Tiger Woods house of cards. As I looked closer I could see the tail lights of a Toyota Corolla that looked exactly like ours. Kelly had taken ours to the library, but someone else wasnt so lucky.


The main beam also pierced the rear passenger window of a Nissan Maxima parked one spot from my own very reliable Ford Ranger.


The whole ordeal began around 10am, and the clean-up crew finally had most of the debris moved away by 6pm that evening. After all that, the Toyota came away ready to rock n' roll. A few dents and dings, but still in operable condition. Well done Toyota, well done.


3 comments:

Meleah said...

Matt- I love reading your commentary! LOL Buck said, "It could have been worse, someone could have been driving the Toyota." We are just glad it wasn't your car!!

Malerie said...

Wow.

Joyce said...

Your parking lot scares me a little. Remember when the guy almost pinned me against your truck with his SUV? But now your parking lot terrifies me! I think we better all take our Toyotas and park somewhere else...like the middle of the freeway. By the way, you can get a great deal on any Toyota right now.