Matt has given up on 2009. “The Twilight Saga” was no match. “Transformers 2” was a shameful opponent. And we had such high hopes for "The Soloist."
The cinematic recession of the past 365 days has finally caught up with my movie-obsessed husband. A few days ago, after yet another failed attempt at viewing a movie in its entirety, Matt turned to me with defeat in his eye and spoke, saying, “Why do awards shows INSIST on giving out awards?? If there are no good movies made in an entire year, should we even HAVE the Oscars?? I just think 2009 should have an asterisk in the Academy Archives.” I am getting emotional just remembering that dark moment.
The cinematic recession of the past 365 days has finally caught up with my movie-obsessed husband. A few days ago, after yet another failed attempt at viewing a movie in its entirety, Matt turned to me with defeat in his eye and spoke, saying, “Why do awards shows INSIST on giving out awards?? If there are no good movies made in an entire year, should we even HAVE the Oscars?? I just think 2009 should have an asterisk in the Academy Archives.” I am getting emotional just remembering that dark moment.
Like the Wise Men to Bethlehem, it is for this purpose that I come before you with my meager offerings. I urge you to review these suggestions while keeping the following in mind:
1. The Woodlands will not spend time or money on movies that the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) rates at less than a 7.2 out of 10.0
2. Some of the following reviews are not of movies released in 2009. In fact, only two of them were. I reiterate Matt’s sentiment that 2009 was generally a pretty horrid year in film.
In no particular order, I present to you MY FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2009
(Written and Reviewed by Kelly Woodland)
The Staircase
(First released in France as "Soupçons")
(First released in France as "Soupçons")
(Rated 8.5/10 on IMDB)
Summary:
Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker, Jean-Xavier de Lestrade, presents a gripping courtroom thriller, offering a rare and revealing inside look at a high-profile murder trial. In 2001, author Michael Peterson was arraigned for the murder of his wife Kathleen, whose body was discovered lying in a pool of blood on the stairway of their home. Granted unusual access to Peterson's lawyers, home and immediate family, de Lestrade's cameras capture the defense team as it considers its strategic options. "The staircase" is an engrossing look at contemporary American justice that features more twists than a legal bestseller.
Kelly’s Review:
Kelly’s Review:
This 8-part real-life series had us thinking and reviewing the current judicial system for two weeks in our home. Never have we checked the mailbox with more zeal than when we were awaiting various consecutive discs for “The Staircase”.
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
(8.6/10 on IMDB)
Summary:
In 2001, Andrew Bagby, a medical resident, is murdered not long after breaking up with his girlfriend. Soon after, when she announces she's pregnant, one of Andrew's many close friends, Kurt Kuenne, begins this film, a gift to the child. Friends, relatives, and colleagues say warm and loving things about Andrew, home movies confirm his exuberance. Andrew's parents, Kathleen and David, move to Labrador (Canada) where the ex-girlfriend has gone. They await an arrest and trial of the murderer. They negotiate with the ex-girlfriend to visit their grandchild, Zachary, and they seek custody. Is there any justice; is Zachery a sweet and innocent consolation for the loss of their son?
Kelly’s Review:
Laughter, happy memories, anger, injustice all wrapped up in one beautiful and heart-wrenching documentary. Immediately after watching this, I actually took time to write a letter to Andrew’s Parents (and Zachary's Grandparents), the Bagby's, expressing my support of their fight to save the grandson their lost son had never met. For me, this is the type of film that is frustrating and yet ignites one to action. I can tell you that I have not been more moved by a documentary in my life.
Sunshine Cleaning
(7.3/10 on IMDB)
Summary:
In Albuquerque, sisters Rose and Norah lost their mother when they were young. Rose is responsible - a housecleaner, raising her seven-year-old son Oscar. She's also having an affair with Mac, a married cop, her high-school sweetheart. Norah can't hold a job. Their dad, Joe, is quirky. When Oscar is expelled from school for odd behavior, Rose wants to earn enough to send him to private school. Mac suggests she clean up after crime scenes, suicides, and deaths that go undiscovered for awhile. Rose enlists Norah, and Sunshine Cleaners is born. Norah bonds with the dead, Rose finds out that it's a regulated business, and complications arise. Can a family marked by tragedy manage to sort things out?
Kelly’s Review:
This film boasts a cast chock-full of completely underrated actors. With Amy Adams in the lead roll, Emily Blunt as her flustered and flakey sister, and Alan Arkin playing their get-rich-quick-scheming father there is not one misstep in the whole film. I was taken from cracking up at the sheer humility portrayed in certain scenes, to crying at a particularly touching moment of human influence. Needless to say, this gets my vote for a great film that I saw in 2009!
Julie & Julia
(7.5/10 on IMDB)
Summary:
Julia Child and Julie Powell - both of whom wrote memoirs - find their lives intertwined. Though separated by time and space, both women are at loose ends... until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible.
Kelly’s Review:
Yes, it IS about cooking…but it’s also about inner strength, changing what ails you, and becoming an all-around BETTER PERSON! I appreciate the intertwining of Julia Child’s Life with Julie Powell’s life throughout the whole film. Meryl Streep is AWESOME as Julia Child, Amy Adams perfectly portrays a woman in need of a life makeover, and the food speaks for itself. Granted, I also read the book before seeing the movie so maybe I am projecting a bit. Still…this one is great for anyone who has ever wanted to completely overhaul their life.
In a better world, this would have been a "Top 5" list, but because of the slim pickings of the past 12 months, I have to stop at four. Now lets all raise our 20-gallon popcorn buckets to 2010, and the hopes that lie within for cinematic brilliance!




2 comments:
Matt, be sure to check out "The Hurt Locker" when it comes out on DVD (I believe in early January). I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's incredible. I will be one of the first to watch it when it comes out in Jan.
Hey, I think I lost you on FB somehow, but I wanted to share this blog with you: http://qsreviews.wordpress.com/
One of my firm's attorneys writes a weekly movie review. I often add or remove things from my Netflix queue according to his reviews. He loves comments on his blog, so feel free to send him your opinions. :-)
Post a Comment