Monday, May 12, 2008

From time to time I like to just blog about small, seemingly inconsequential things in our lives. Most of the time, these small things include delicious food finds in and around San Diego. Now, the food find of the day is actually not a new place for Matt and myself. We have been patrons at this little place for a few years now since it's re-incarnation a few years back.

The background:
The scene is La Jolla circa 2005. Matt and Kelly are on one of their cutesy little *dating* dates. It's approximately 7:00pm and both of them want PANCAKES!!! Where else to venture but to the nearest IHOP for some scrumptious rooty-tooty-fresh-and-fruity deliciousness?? Matt dutifully scours the Internet, the yellow pages, and his memory for just where he has seen an IHOP in San Diego..."There's one down on Prospect in La Jolla Proper" he exclaims, white fist clutching a torn piece of the phone book. Kelly is ecstatic at the news and they both climb into Matt's Chevy Impala (ahhh...the Impala! Pardon as I digress into a comfortable sea of company-paid gas memories!) to indulge in their late-night-pancake desires. Headed southwest on Prospect Street both Matt and Kelly are waiting with bated breath for the glow of that blue and gold sign high above the town pronouncing the arrival of late night breakfasts to come. It is with woe and dread that their eyes are met not by the pitched roof and sparkling gleam of IHOP, but by a new place that neither was prepared for...the Panini Cafe!!! "I guess we'll eat here..." says a gamely Matt, in his futile attempt to rectify what was left of a breakfast-for-dinner out.


The Journey:
Well, needless to say, from that first bite of on a cold, dark winter night where all we wanted was Pancakes has led to a two-year-long affair with our go-to La Jolla restaurant. if you have visited us in San Diego over the past three years, you have indubitably been enticed by the sweet menu, caressed by the flames of the outdoor patio fire pit, and taken in the tantalizing smells and flavors of this Mediterranean-Italian Fusion restaurant. I have literally NEVER eaten a thing at Panini Cafe that I didn't love and want to marry right then and there. Time and time again Matt and I have had to reassess our own marriage as well as Church doctrine regarding polygamy in an effort not to take on another husband~the Panini Cafe Head Chef.

This Weekend:
So this past Saturday Matt and I were actually going to venture out and try something new (Mona Lisa Deli in Little Italy...if you've been there post me and tell me if it's worth the trip please!) but once again we were sucked back into the Panini Cafe where we could watch the sun set and enjoy our meals in a place we love. Matt had the Chicken and Vegetable Kabob with Basmati Rice:

Now typically Matt gets nervous eating things that he can't pronounce, or has never heard of...but again good old P.C. came through and Matt eagerly scarfed down even the Basmati, as well as "Something green, I can't tell what it is!" which turned out to be a grilled green bell pepper...


I, on the other hand, stuck with my old stand-by favorite, the #5 Turkey Panini on Whole Grain bread with Roma tomatoes, red onion, and melty Brie cheese and paired it with a Mediterranean salad for only $8!!


Seriously, if this post does not garner up some business for this little-known gem in the heart of La Jolla, I don't know what will...and next time you visit us you can rest assured this is right where your first San Diego meal is coming from!

Everyone needs to Panini Cafe it at least once in their life...but for the record Matt and I have first dibs on the Chef when plural marriage is legalized. Oh Snap!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

never been. i will check it out.

Malerie said...

Seriously - I keep waiting for your San Diego City Guide :)

The Andrews said...

Looks delish...I heart pancakes!

Joselyn said...

Those paninis look amazing. If they're anything like the ones Ryan and I had in Italy, we're in!! We might have to paper-rock-scissors you for the chef though! :)

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob said...

In my humble opinion, Mona Lisa's makes the best sandwich in San Diego. Now, mind you, I've only lived here for a year and a half, but I've eaten a fair share of sandwiches and Mona Lisa's is at the top of the list, hands down. (Cheese Shop would be #2 for me).

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Yum. your blog made me hungry. I miss you! I will need to check this out...maybe with you some weekend :)

Gabe & Christy said...

well - i want to know why we never ate there. Im about to google panini spots in Idaho...only to be horribly disappointed im sure.

im so upset right now. the baby is DEMANDING that turkey sandwhich with brie cheese!!!

DAMN YOU AND YOUR DATE SPOT! Also if they legalize plural marriage, Gabe and I would like to be added after the chef on your list. That way they can golf together and we can 'sister-wife' shop together. But lets not ever ever have polygamy hair. DEAL!

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Time for a new post!!!