two·fer (t
f
r)

f
r)
{n. Informal}
An offer, a deal, or an arrangement in which a single expense yields a dual return:
An offer, a deal, or an arrangement in which a single expense yields a dual return:
Attending that conference last week in Texas was a twofer!
Recently, I was asked to lead a few days of group exercises for a women's health conference through work. My work takes me to some interesting places and this trip to San Antonio, Texas was no different! Although I didn't leave the United States, I did get to take my favorite guy along with me, and it was fun to return to the scene of so many of his memories while living in the South!
I arrived a few days early, and just worked through until Matt joined me.
I did take an hour one day to explore the first few nights,and ran into the stunningly beautiful
San Fernando Cathedral in Main Square.
I did take an hour one day to explore the first few nights,and ran into the stunningly beautiful
San Fernando Cathedral in Main Square.
| (Love the architecture) |
| (Dia de los Muertos art installation) |
We were especially lucky to have a hotel right on the Riverwalk that allowed for us both to get out and walk just about everywhere.
| (It was even air conditioned!) |
Okay, okay, we did not stay at the Robert E. Lee. I just thought this was so hilarious!
But we did stay at a place where we would walk out the doors and see this each day:
| (Pretty!) |
We also managed to find a store that carried different pint of Matt's coveted
Blue Bell ice cream for each day!
Blue Bell ice cream for each day!
Matt of course was very excited about all of the food in Texas, and even had a plan of attack for all of the restaurants he was looking forward to trying out.
Our first stop was a hole-in-the-wall place behind a gas station/carwash where we nearly got shanked.
In the end, we were so glad to risk the neighborhood atmosphere of The Cove as we left happy and full with awesome grilled tilapia tacos and a lamb burger.
We spent the next afternoon after work exploring the Alamo.
Now, I have a confession:
Prior to this trip I did not know a thing about the Alamo! I was in the dark on it's significance in American/Texas history or anything pertaining to it.
To say that history was never my favorite school subject would be a vast understatement!
I think my naivete was what made it neat to see the Alamo first-hand and read all about the history while we were there.
| (Experiencing Texan culture?!) |
We followed up the history-filled evening with some pretty raucous married-folk activities:
![]() |
| (catching up on work email) |
Exciting, right??
Well, to be honest all of the time that we spent engaged in work was more than made up for with exploring the city and eating more delicious food!
The final "must-eat" spot on Matt's list was another place off the beaten path, only this time it was Texas BBQ at the Bun N Barrel!
We had filled our time up so nicely with all the fun things to do in San Antonio that we ended up having to swing through the Bun N Barrel on our way to catch our flights!
I don't think that made the ribs, brisket, onion rolls, pulled pork that we sampled any less delicious though...
![]() |
| (rockin' those ribs at the gate) |
A few note-worthy take away items on San Antonio:
1) The city reminded me so much of Sacramento where we grew up. Seriously very little difference.
2) We had brilliant weather the whole time we were there which leads me to believe that Southerners are lying about the heat and humidity :o)
3) Every single person I met was so incredibly nice! Just so, so nice...
So ends our trip to Texas, and here come the holidays!




2 comments:
I am so glad you enjoyed your trip! So fun you could have the hubs along with you too! I have to say I looooooove that riverwalk. So pretty! I also should mention {from a non-photogenic woman like myself}that you always look good in your pics, what gives? I'm jealous! ;-) Hope you had a wonderful day & I can't wait to see you tomorrow!
I agree with Dana, you are so photogenic!! And love the blog updates and all the yummy food.
Post a Comment