Friday, October 19, 2012

Happy #6


Last weekend Kelly and I celebrated our 6th Anniversary. After slaving away laying new sod in the backyard, we had a fun night out at the Chart House in Cardiff (thanks Mike & Kitty).

Baby steps to a nice yard...

Post dinner pic at Chart House in Cardiff
It was fun to reminisce about experiences we've had over the past six years. It was interesting to me that some of the things that topped our list of best moments (getting married, buying our home) also topped the list of most trying times. I think it goes to show that:
a) We've had a pretty great life thus far since the hardest things we've had to endure were escrow companies and wedding coordinators
AND
b) The things you work hardest to overcome become the most rewarding when all is said and done.

As a person who loves lists (and as a way to commemorate our six years of wedded bliss), here are the top six reasons I am happy to be married to Kelly (in reverse order):

#6 We disagree about most things
ESPN v Food Network, Sushi v Chicken Wings, Romney v Obama, Led Zeppelin v Nicki Minaj, Naps v Not Napping… the list goes on and on, but it’s funny that despite our disagreements we often find common ground or learn to see things in a new light. There are also arguments that prove us both right. We once had a debate over who sang “Under Pressure.” I knew it was Queen, but she was convinced it was David Bowie. Funny how that works.
Another family "discussion"
 #5 I’m not required to buy her flowers
I am notoriously cheap frugal. You know how they list the side affects of new drugs really fast at the end of commercials? Those are some of the symptoms I experience when I have to spend money. So the fact that I found someone who loves me for me and doesn't expect flowers, chocolates or jewelry to keep her happy helps me avoid blurred vision, diarrhea, blood clots, headache, fever, etc. I appreciate how she shops for “deals” when buying new clothes. And even when she tries to sneak the occasional new pair of shoes past me, she’s usually quick to tell me she found them on sale. I know how hard she works at pinching pennies and it makes the times we get to splurge that much more enjoyable.

$plurging on a harbor cruise. I think I had a coupon
#4 Other than her triceps, she looks really good
One of the many running jokes in our house comes from a comment Kelly made one night about how she has no tricep muscles. I laughed and told her I would give her some workouts to help. But other than this one tiny physical flaw, she is a beautiful person both inside and out. She is kind, thoughtful and smart and she has been a stunning beauty ever since I first spotted her wandering the halls at El Camino High School. After we had mailed our engagement photos, my aunt spent five solid minutes telling me that she was waaaaaaaay out of my league. She wasn't the first to point that out and certainly not the last.

1999 or 2012? Hard to tell
#3 She leaves me alone
Don't get me wrong, there is no one I would rather spend my time with. But there are times when I need a few minutes to myself. Whether it is at home after a long day or while I am spending too much time on the golf course, I appreciate that she gives me space when I need it. I know some guys whose wives call 30-40 times a day to talk (which is fine if that works for you). If Kelly ever did this I would certainly go crazy. I am glad that we communicate the way we do. I know that if she calls me during the day it is because the world is about to end and she just wants to make sure I’m ok. That or she wants to know if I need more Capt N Crunch for the week… you know, life and death scenarios.

My "alone time" might have ulterior motives
#2 She’s actually kind of funny
No really, she is. Sometimes it’s even intentional ;) What’s great is that when I run out of jokes to tell, she can make us laugh just as hard as ever. A few weeks ago on the way to church, I had to pull the car over because I was laughing so hard I couldn't see from the tears that were blurring my vision (see, I wasn't lying about the blurred vision thing). Then there are the unintentional things like when she is half asleep and tries to talk to me about stuff and it is just gibberish, or when she falls off her bike in what feels like slow motion for the third time. And even though I feel bad about laughing, I do it anyway because even the way she falls is hilarious.

Everyone's a comedian
#1 She thinks I’m great
Nothing makes me feel better at the end of the day than hearing my wife tell me she thinks I’m great. President Thomas S. Monson said a woman needs to be told she is beautiful and valued while a man needs to be told he’s capable and worth while. It’s true and makes me feel like I can accomplish anything when I hear her say it. I love Kelly because she is better than great. She is the best. Happy Anniversary!

Happy 6

5 comments:

Kitty said...

Awww! So sweet but not sappy!

Morgan said...

great post!! happy anniversary!

Jordan and Luke Stephenson said...

Sweetest post ever. And I literally laughed out loud a few times. You guys are both great writers. Happy anniversary!

Unknown said...

So I love that Matt writes on here too! I did not know that! I guess I need to read more... :) Anyways, you two win the cutest couple award. I loved this post, & I am so glad we are new friends! :) Happy anniversary!!

Nicole @The Style Hatch said...

How sweet is this! Happy 6 years!