There are a great many things I love and appreciate about my husband.
1} he is a funny guy!
2} he think I am a funny gal!
3} he is typically a very, very laid-back person...
...except when it comes to his food.
He would tell you differently. He would tell you that he, "will eat ANYTHING" but the truth is, the man will eat nothing unless it is comprised of two ingredients or less!
I have been formulating this hypothesis for awhile, and feel that I now have enough evidence to make my case.
Exhibit A: the Sugar Rush
On any given eve in the Woodland abode, you will find me whisking, measuring, and baking away to my heart's content. I love a good {complicated} recipe. It soothes my nerves to complete such a menial task at the end of the day.
My favorites are the ones that require approximately three trips to the natural foods store, 27 ingredients, and a food processor. My attitude toward all of my baking is "the more the merrier" and just about anything goes into the bowl at some point or another. I DO follow recipes. kinda. And I will be the first to admit that I have my share of absolute failures in the kitchen, but eight times out of ten it will be edible and sweet!
My sweet husband is the king of sugar.
Our running joke is that he often asks, "Is there SUGAR in that? Then YES I will eat it!" from this little movie. Well, it turns out that when I bake anything with more that two separate flavors, it is deemed impassable by those dessert connoisseur lips of his!
Recently, I asked Mr. if he wanted walnuts or chocolate chips in his brownies. He looked at me like I had slapped him. Apparently those additions both, "make the texture too WEIRD". Alternately, I tried to gussy up the simple chocolate chip cookie that makes up 43.7% of his diet with a few peanut butter chips. He took one look and never touched those cookies again.
Exhibit B: Mix n Match
Another thing that I like to do is combine flavors. Flavor combinations make or break a dish in my simple little brain. Sometimes I combine really strange things, but mostly it stays within the normal realm of yum. Recently, we made some breakfast for dinner in the form of simple bacon and eggs. He likes bacon and eggs. Count the number of ingredients in that meal {hint: two}.
So here is what the man's meal looked like:
And mine {same meal-seriously}:
So maybe mine is gross...I will give you all that. But the SEPARATE PLATES for his bacon and eggs cracks me up! They cannot touch.
Exhibit C: Why this works perfectly
There comes a time in every relationship where you realize there will be some give and take. That man I swore to love for eternity? He has ::GASP:: his own likes and dislikes!! AND...they are different from mine!!!
Turns out this is awesome! wait...what?
Well, you see, I am actually the pickier eater of the two of us. His only stipulation is that a dish have two ingredients or less, and that they preferably not be touching. Throw some sugar on there and he is swooning! So, this actually tends to work to my advantage. Recently at a fancy dinner we attended, I disliked approximately 84% of what was served. He, on the other hand, was MORE than willing to share the things on his plate that were deemed "too mixed in" AND would eat anything I surreptitiously put in front of him- as long as it was picked out of the overall dish!
The goat cheese I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole? GONE!
The cake part of my icing?? Hoovered!!
The goat cheese I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole? GONE!
The cake part of my icing?? Hoovered!!
{yup, we are totally THAT couple!}
Anytime I want to try something without jumping in full-board? The hubby will happily order it and if I can discern what the make-up of the dish is, he will usually lick the plate clean!
I am fairly confident I could never manage to live without this guy!
I am just seriously, seriously amazed by how much sweetness one guy can contain- and he still gives me a run for my money every day.



2 comments:
hahaha! so funny! i loved the elf quote especially - one of our favorite movies! :)
oh man kelly, that is so classic! brady and i have a similar food dynamic. i'm all about trying new combos and being creative, and always adding extra veggies (your eggs with the extra veggies looked super tasty). i'm going to have to test the 2 ingredient theory on brady. i know that one of his go-to ingredients is always meat, the second is usually cheese. hmmm . . . you've got me thinking.
Post a Comment