Monday, September 12, 2011

Austin, TX

So what do you do when the power goes out for 12 hours and you are experiencing record high temperatures? Well, if you are me, you ditch your wife and catch a plane to Texas for some good BBQ and college football.

Quick recap of my time in Austin
After arriving late in the afternoon, priority #1 was food. First stop: Rudy’s, with its self-described “Worst BBQ in Texas!” The worst in Texas still rivals the best in California. 

I was too hungry to stick around for a picture
Then it was off to eat some more. I found a grocery store and bought three flavors of Blue Bell Ice Cream: Pistachio Almond, Banana Split, and Pralines & Cream.

Spent Friday eating and golfing 27 holes. It was hot, but it was golf the way it should be (beautifully manicured course, with what felt like no one around for miles). Lunch was a delicious Grilled Chicken Burrito at the Iguana Grill overlooking Lake Travis (or at least what is left of it). Dinner consisted of more wings at Pluckers, where I tried 4 of their 19 wing flavors (Buffalo Mild, Dr Pepper, Spicy Ranch and Honey BBQ). And, as luck would have it, I left my camera in my bag all day.

Game day finally arrived. After an hour long paddle-board session on Lady Bird Lake (which looked a lot like a river to me), it was off to Torchy’s Tacos just outside of Downtown Austin (if anyone goes there, try the Democrat for me. It looked amazing, but I couldn’t bring myself to cross party lines). 

Not me, but you get the idea
Finally, it was off to the BYU v Texas football game where I watched our beloved Cougars die a slow, miserable death at the hands of Colt McCoy’s younger brother.

Brad and I were all smiles before the second half...
Watching the win slowly slip out of our fingers
After the demoralizing loss, a stop off at Round Rock Donuts lifted my spirits a little, but it was the welcoming breeze off San Diego Harbor that put a smile back on my face. 

Mmmmmmmmm, donuts
Despite all the great food, good friends and lovely southern accents, San Diego is still the place for me. (As long as the power stays on!)

Isn't she great?
***Special thanks to the Madsen Family, Greg Roberts, Brad Corbett and Mike Hood for all the hook-ups!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Awesome get away! I glad that you had such a cool opportunity. Hope the rest of the Courgars season turns around quickly!!!!

ToddS said...

Dang! I wish we still lived in the ATX...would have loved to spend some time in that fine city with you!