Monday, January 12, 2009

3 good movies from 2008 you probably didn't see..

1. The Dark Knight – (That was a joke). Seriously though, this year (like most years) someone asked me to list my favorite movies from the year. I froze up. I had no answer. I'm hardly at a loss of movie recommendations, yet I couldn’t think of a couple, let alone an entire list of movies that really stood out in 2008.

After reviewing the movies released, I came to realize why I had such a stupor of thought. There were only a handful of what I would qualify as “good" to "great movies” this past year. Many people enjoyed The Dark Knight, Ironman and Wall-E. Yet I also remember sitting thru many hours of lousy sequels and box-office garbage. Luckily, I found a few more gems I'd like to share. Below is a list of three good movies from last year you probably didn’t see in the theatres and can now rent on DVD. Here they are, in reverse order:

3. Flawless – Demi Moore, Michael Caine
IMDB Synopsis: “A crime/drama set in 1960 London, where a soon to retire janitor convinces a glass-ceiling constrained American executive to help him steal a handful of diamonds from their employer, the London Diamond Corporation.”(Even though it is dated 2007, it wasn't released in the US until March 2oo8.)
Why I liked this movie: Even though you try not to side with the thieves it would be hard not jump on board with a plan devised by the likable character played by Michael Caine. Even Demi Moore is slightly less irritating than usual. The story moves a little slow at first, but gives a nice backdrop for the character development and circumstances that eventually bring you on board with the job. Everyone loves to stick it to the man, and who doesn't love a quality heist movie?

2. Young @ Heart – Old folks you'll come to love in less than 1 hour and 30 minutes.
IMDB Synopsis: “A story of the Young at Heart Chorus, a group of senior citizens who perform contemporary and classic rock and pop songs.”

Why I liked this movie: I don’t want to say anything about this one and cause you to judge prematurely, so just go rent it. I know what you are thinking, "Old people singing in a documentary? No thanks!" Just trust me on this one. Even if you haven't believed a word of what I said thus far and hate documentaries, go see this movie. There. I have done all I can to spread the joy and warmth you will inevitably feel after seeing this film. Also (and I don't share this with many) have tissues handy. It may get a little "misty," even for you tough guys.

1. Traitor – Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce
IMDB Synopsis: “When straight arrow FBI agent Roy Clayton heads up the investigation into a dangerous international conspiracy, all clues seem to lead back to former U.S. Special Operations officer, Samir Horn.”
Why I liked this movie: A great all around movie from beginning to end that incorporates all my criteria for a great flick. (Quality story that carries itself from beginning to end, unpredictable, leaves you thinking long after it is over and leaves you wanting to see it again and again.) I am shocked that this movie came and went from theatres so quickly. However, I enjoyed how it took an alternate look at the topic of terrorism, by giving us a main character that knows both sides and questions who are the good guys and who are the bad guys... or is there really a distinction.
Enjoy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post!!! I have walked by Flawless many a time - supposing it was lame-0 due to the demi moore factor. So im glad someone saw it! I have also hear of young @ heart but havent netflixed it yet - You know how much I love the documentaries! As for the Don Cheadle flick, well I pretty much love all his stuff so this one goes on the list as well! Thanks Siskel! Or is it Ebert?

Tracy said...

Hey Matt (and Mrs. Matt ; )! Dan and I just now saw that old comment you left like months ago on our blog! That's so funny that you know the Badgers! (or at least Steve) Are you two in San Diego? I enjoyed your movie review.. it was very needed as we are always looking for good movies to watch. We would love to hear from you guys again!

Talk soon- Tracy (and Dan)

Unknown said...

we saw traitor last night thanks for the recommendation - we really liked it! (it was a little slow to start - but I pushed on, knowing you liked it. And well, it totally paid off. )

Joyce said...

Hey, thanks Matt for the next few weeks of movie viewing...I think. I don't always get to pick. Like I always say, there are just never too many opinions in this family. Darren and I will see you soon--if I have my way.

Alicia said...

Thanks for the recommendations. We loved Young at Heart. Hope you are doing well. We'll see you in less than three months!!!